Wednesday, January 18, 2012

LinkedIn. Networking... for Dummies.

It seems that plain, old-fashioned, good manners have been tossed out the window along with handwritten notes and real blind dates.

I’m a huge fan of LinkedIn – (in their words: [It’s] the world’s largest professional network that connects you to your trusted contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with a broader network of professionals.) and there’s nothing better than being able to review a prospective client or employee biography, or participate in a peer-to-peer dialogue on a hot marketing topic in one of my favorite marketing group forums.

But lately I have been getting invitations from complete strangers to “link in” to them. And often, they’re from lands far, far away, where I’d have to use my Nancy-Drew-turned-anthropologist skills to find it on a map.

Why not take the time to write a personal note to me like: “I’m a talented art director with heavy B2B direct marketing experience. After visiting your website and looking at the types of clients you work with, and the types of work that you do, I think I could be another resource for you if you ever have the need for new talent. Would love to connect.”

Clearly, this would help me put the individual into some sort of perspective, understand why they want to link in to me, and help me determine whether or not I might want to make a connection with them. But no. Instead, they default to the standard “Since you are a person I trust, I wanted to invite you to join my network on LinkedIn.”

How can I be a person you trust if you’ve never met me? Done business with me? Been introduced to me?

Before you initiate contact with a complete stranger on LinkedIn, here are a few tips:

  • Do your homework. Why do you want to connect with this individual, but, more importantly, why should they want to “accept” and connect with you? Use that information in your “request to link in” message. To learn more about them and their company, visit their website, Google their company name or their individual name. It’s not that hard, but it will help make the connection more relevant.
  • Post a RECENT and DECENT photo of yourself. No, not the one with you holding your kids (save that one for Facebook) or your dog (funny, but not appropriate for a business networking site). And don’t take one with the camera on the top of your computer (not very professional). Schedule time with a professional photographer. And, when you crop the photo to place it on the site, don’t show me more than your head and shoulders. Your face gets really, really, tiny when the image on LinkedIn is about ½” high.
  • Complete your bio… please. Your bio should be robust and as complete as possible, otherwise, I start to wonder if you’re trying to hide something. Didn’t go to college? That’s nothing to be ashamed of… just that by listing your Elementary School only, it looks like you only went as far as the 5th grade (helpful for those looking to reconnect to their 1st crush, but again, not appropriate for a business networking site).
  • Ask for references. 1st class LinkedIn profiles always have a few references included. So why don’t you have any? If no one will endorse you, why would I want to do business with you? And why would I want to “link in” to you?
  • Be prepared to be rejected. If your bio is incomplete, or I don’t know you, or you’ve not given me one good reason to get to know you, I’ll reject your invitation. And, if I suspect you are abusing the LinkedIn platform, I’ll report your request as SPAM. So, consider yourself warned.

No comments: